Our Founding Members
For many years the name Best & Sharp has been synonymous with trial work, defending doctors, appellate practice, defense verdicts … and for many years, the founding partners of Best & Sharp practiced together – one trying cases and the other writing briefs.
The long association of Joseph Best and Joseph Sharp began in 1949 when both were hired to work at the law firm of Pierce, Rucker, Mock, Tabor and Duncan. They had both served in World War II a few years earlier and had both attended law school on the GI Bill. They each earned $150 per week, and the chance to share a desk. While Joe Best concentrated on his litigation practice, Joe Sharp devoted his skill to appellate practice. The two eventually became directors and shareholders of the Pierce, Rucker firm. In 1962 they struck out on their own to form their own firm – the first firm to bear the Best & Sharp name – Best, Sharp, Thomas & Glass.
The firm name changed several times over the years, as the firm continued to grow and change, but the two partners, Joe Best and Joe Sharp remained a constant. The two retired in the late 1990s, but left a foundation built by their hard work and commitment to excellence that contributes to the present day culture of Best & Sharp. It is in part because of their commitment to quality and results that Best & Sharp has maintained the distinction of an AV rating by Martindale-Hubbell for over three decades.